Atlanta Embezzlement Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Embezzlement Charges in Georgia
Embezzlement is considered a serious crime that can lead to severe penalties, including imprisonment and fines. If you have been charged with embezzlement, it is essential to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. At The Abt Law Firm, LLC, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the aggressive defense they need. Our Atlanta embezzlement attorneys have extensive experience handling complex criminal cases and are prepared to fight for you.
Call The Abt Law Firm, LLC today at (678) 582-2272 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our embezzlement attorney in Atlanta.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement involves misappropriating funds or property entrusted to an individual, typically an employee, for personal gain. In other words, it occurs when someone in a position of trust or authority unlawfully takes control of money or assets with the intent to use them for personal purposes rather than their intended purpose.
Embezzlement can take various forms, such as skimming cash from a business, altering financial records, creating fictitious employees, or diverting funds from a charitable organization. The key element in an embezzlement case is the violation of trust and the fraudulent appropriation of property or funds.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in Georgia?
Embezzlement penalties in Georgia can vary based on the specific circumstances of the case, the amount of money or property involved, and the defendant's prior criminal record. The penalties for embezzlement are defined in Georgia's criminal code and may include the following:
- Misdemeanor Embezzlement: In cases involving amounts less than $500, embezzlement is classified as a misdemeanor. Penalties may include up to 12 months in jail and fines up to $1,000.
- Felony Embezzlement: For amounts exceeding $500, embezzlement is considered a felony offense in Georgia.
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: To secure the conviction, the prosecution must demonstrate that you intentionally misappropriated the funds or property. If it can be shown that the actions were unintentional or the result of a misunderstanding, this can be a strong defense.
- Lack of Evidence: Challenging the evidence the prosecution presents is often a successful strategy. We can question the validity of the evidence, the chain of custody, or the accuracy of financial records.
- Alibi: If you can provide an alibi demonstrating that you were not present at the time the alleged embezzlement occurred, this can be a powerful defense.
- Duress: If you were forced or coerced into executing embezzlement under threat or duress, this may serve as a valid defense.
- Consent: If you can show that the owner of the property or funds consented to your actions, it may serve as a defense against embezzlement charges.
- Mistaken Identity: If there is evidence that you were mistaken for someone else who committed the embezzlement, this can be a compelling defense.
Contact Our Embezzlement Attorney in Atlanta Today
The Abt Law Firm, LLC is here to provide you with skilled legal representation and a strong defense against embezzlement allegations. Our Atlanta embezzlement lawyers have the knowledge and experience needed to navigate the complexities of your case and protect your rights. Your future is at stake, and we are here to help you every step of the way. Contact The Abt Law Firm, LLC now to secure the legal representation you deserve.
Contact The Abt Law Firm, LLC today to get started with our Atlanta embezzlement lawyer.
All Charges Dismissed Bank Manager Allegedly Stole Diamonds & Cash
Not Guilty On All Charges Basketball Coach Charged with Child Molestation
All Charges Dismissed Prior to Trial Client Accused of Murdering His Partner
Not Guilty On All Charges Client Charged with Murder, Kidnapping & Aggravated Assault
All Charges Dropped & Client Proved Innocent Client Charged with Rape of a Family Member