NO JAIL TIME. Our Atlanta Law Firm Provides the Experience Your Case Requires.
The Abt Law Firm, LLC has successfully handled thousands of cases and we aim for complete client satisfaction. Contact us today, we can help!
Atlanta Criminal Defense Attorneys
Thousands of Atlanta Criminal Cases Handled
Facing criminal charges in Dekalb County or Fulton County is serious. Whether a person is accused of a felony or a misdemeanor, the penalties resulting from a criminal trial often impact the rest of their life. Jail time, fines, and a damaged reputation are the repercussions our Atlanta criminal defense attorneys at The Abt Law Firm, LLC fight to prevent our clients from unfairly facing.
With over 26 years of experience, Mr. Abt and his Atlanta criminal defense team have the tools needed to aggressively protect your rights. We know that every story has two sides and will ensure that the court hears your version of events. After defending over 3,000 cases, we are proud to be the positive force of change in Atlanta, Georgia, that each of our clients needed. We find results where other criminal defense firms say there is no hope.
As one of the top criminal defense attorneys in Atlanta, Mr. Abt and his team have in-depth experience with almost every criminal court throughout the entire State of Georgia. He is ready to use his established reputation to build a strong case that seeks charges to be dropped, acquitted, or even dismissed.
The Abt Law Firm, LLC handles nearly every aspect of criminal defense in Atlanta and throughout the state of Georgia, including sex crimes, drug crimes, fraud, and simple misdemeanors to complex felonies. Mr. Abt is also qualified to handle federal criminal cases and will represent you in federal court if needed.
You can’t afford to place your future in the hands of another attorney. Contact our Atlanta criminal defense firm today at (678) 582-2272. Your initial consultation is free, and we are ready to start building a strong case for you today.
IT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAT INNOCENCE BE PROTECTED THAN IT IS THAT GUILT BE PUNISHED. - JOHN ADAMS
We believe that every client is innocent until proven guilty. The Abt Law Firm, LLC will fight for you and protect your constitutional rights.
All Charges Dismissed Bank Manager Allegedly Stole Diamonds & Cash
Not Guilty On All Charges Basketball Coach Charged with Child Molestation
All Charges Dismissed Prior to Trial Client Accused of Murdering His Partner
Not Guilty On All Charges Client Charged with Murder, Kidnapping & Aggravated Assault
All Charges Dropped & Client Proved Innocent Client Charged with Rape of a Family Member
Georgia Federal Criminal Lawyers
Federal crimes are those that violate laws established by the U.S. government. Generally, these offenses cross state lines or country borders, occur on federal property, or are committed against a federal employee.
Big-name agencies, such as the FBI, DEA, IRS, and Secret Service investigate these cases. Their agents spend a considerable amount of time gathering evidence against the accused. They then hand the case off to a U.S. Attorney who will work tirelessly to obtain a conviction.
Common federal crimes include:
The federal government has a wealth of resources to go after anyone suspected of violating a federal law. If you have been accused, it is crucial that you get one of our skilled federal criminal defense attorneys in Georgia on your case. We know how to navigate the federal judicial system and can competently guide you through every step.
Atlanta Felony Attorney
Felonies are considered the most serious offenses. As such, they carry harsh penalties that can completely upend the lives of you and your family.
Felony crimes include, but are not limited to:
- Aggravated assault
Because of the severity of these crimes, you can expect a Dekalb County or Fulton County prosecutor to do everything possible to convince a judge or jury of your guilt. That is why you need a fighter on your side who is not afraid to go up against a formidable opponent. At The Abt Law Firm, LLC, our Georgia criminal defense lawyers will be your staunch advocate from the beginning of your case until its resolution. We flourish in the face of a challenge and will not back down from a fight. We are here to protect your good name and seek the best possible result on your behalf.
Atlanta Sexual Assault Lawyer
Like other crimes, sex offenses carry heavy penalties. However, beyond incarceration and fines, a sex crimes conviction may also result in a requirement to register as a sex offender. With a criminal record and your name on the Georgia sex offender registry, you might find it tough to re-enter society even after completing your sentence.
At The Abt Law Firm, LLC, our Georgia sex crime attorneys recognize the debilitating effects of a sex crimes conviction. We also know that charges and convictions can result from false accusations. That is why our criminal defense lawyers fight aggressively for those alleged to have been involved in sexually related conduct throughout the state of Georgia.
We defend against various sex crimes charges, including:
Get started on your case by speaking with a member of our Atlanta criminal defense firm today.
Atlanta Drug Crime Lawyer
Because controlled substances offenses can put the lives and safety of the community at risk, the state harshly prosecutes violators. If you are convicted of a drug crime in Atlanta, you face incarceration and fines. After completing your sentence, you might still feel the repercussions of a conviction, as you may be ineligible for government benefits like federal student aid or federally assisted housing. Such limitations can make it hard for you to provide for your family and live a productive life.
Our defense attorneys in Atlanta are prepared to defend against a range of drug crime charges throughout the state of Georgia, including:
White Collar Crimes Criminal Defense Attorneys in Atlanta
Generally, white collar crimes take place in the business or government sector. They are often non-violent offenses involving the use of deception or fraud for financial gain.
The following are a few examples of white-collar crimes:
At The Abt Law Firm, LLC, we vigorously defend those accused of white-collar crimes. Our Atlanta criminal lawyers thoroughly review every piece of evidence and build aggressive defenses for our clients. We are ready to get started on your case to protect your reputation and professional future.
Georgia Murder/Manslaughter Defense Lawyers
Any offense resulting in the loss of someone's life is taken seriously. Prosecutors often seek maximum penalties, which can include decades to life in prison.
If you or a loved one have been accused of murder or manslaughter, get started on your defense by calling our Georgia murder defense lawyers. We will assess and analyze your case to craft a compelling and innovative strategy.
The Criminal Process in Georgia
The criminal justice system can be confusing, especially if this is your first run-in with the law. If you try to handle your case without the help of an experienced criminal lawyer in Atlanta, you could make a misstep that profoundly impacts the outcome.
Below is a broad overview of the steps in a criminal case:
- Investigation: A criminal matter begins with an investigation. During this stage, the police collect physical evidence and speak with witnesses. They may also execute search warrants to go through and seize a suspect's property. The purpose of the investigation is to determine whether a crime has been committed and who committed it.
- Arrest: After law enforcement officials have completed their investigation and have established probable cause, they will arrest the suspect (or suspects). In some cases, they will first obtain an arrest warrant from a judge. However, in other situations, they will make an arrest on the spot. Usually, this happens when an offense has been committed in the presence of an officer.
- Charges filed: Investigators will hand the case over to a prosecutor. Based on the information, the prosecutor will determine whether sufficient evidence exists to file charges.
- Arraignment: The arraignment is the first court appearance. During this part of the process, a judge will inform the defendant of the charges against them. The defendant may also have the opportunity to enter a plea. If they plead guilty, their case will move to sentencing. If they plead not guilty, their case proceeds, and they and their defense attorney can review the evidence and build a defense.
- Discovery: During the discovery phase of a criminal case, the prosecutor shares the information they have about the matter with the defense. The defense attorney reviews the evidence to determine how to proceed and may conduct their own investigation to gather evidence to counter the accusations. If they find that procedural errors or violations occurred during the investigation or arrest process, they may file pre-trial motions to have evidence deemed inadmissible.
- Negotiations: Before a case goes to trial, the prosecutor and defense may try to resolve it through a plea bargain. This is where the prosecutor may agree to drop charges or recommend a lesser sentence in exchange for a guilty plea.
- Trial: If the defense does not feel that the case can be resolved favorably through a plea bargain, it will go to trial. The prosecutor will try to obtain a conviction by proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In contrast, the defense will attempt to expose weaknesses in the prosecution's case. If the judge or jury is not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt, they must acquit; otherwise, they may find the defendant guilty.
- Appeals: You have the right to appeal a criminal conviction in Georgia after your trial. This means you can request appellate court justices to review the original trial court document and it is their duty to determine if legal errors occurred at the trial that may have substantially affected the outcome. If the appeal succeeds, it is possible that there will be a new trial. Our Atlanta criminal appeals lawyer can help you through this process.
Be sure that if you are facing charges, you retain the services of a criminal defense attorney in Atlanta who knows how to navigate the justice system. At The Abt Law Firm, LLC, we have handled cases in courts throughout Georgia and are intimately familiar with the judicial process. We can deliver the guidance you need.
Work with One of the Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in Atlanta
Building a solid defense against criminal charges takes time. If you are facing accusations and are looking for one of the best criminal defense lawyers in Atlanta, contact The Abt Law Frim, LLC, as soon as possible. Our Atlanta criminal attorneys will get started on your case right away. Our team can review and analyze evidence, research relevant case law and legal precedent, and anticipate the prosecutor’s moves to build well-thought-out counterarguments.